Jan. 6 investigation expands with new subpoenas in multiple states

Placeholder while loading article actions

Federal agents investigating the January 6, 2021 attack on the US Capitol on Wednesday issued subpoenas to people in at least two states, in what appeared to be a widening investigation into how political activists supporting President Donald Trump tried to use disabled voters to thwart the election victory of Joe Biden in 2020.

Agents conducted court-authorized law enforcement activities Wednesday morning at two locations, FBI officials confirmed to The Washington Post. One was the home of Brad Carver, a Georgia lawyer who allegedly signed a document claiming to be a Trump voter. The other was the Virginia home of Thomas Lane, who worked on Trump campaign efforts in Arizona and New Mexico. FBI officials have not identified the people associated with these addresses, but public records list each of the locations as the men’s home addresses.

Separately, at least some of Trump’s potential voters in Michigan also received subpoenas on Wednesday, according to a person who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation. But it was not immediately clear whether this activity was related to a federal investigation or a state-level criminal investigation.

Trump campaign documents show advisers knew fake voter plan was baseless

The precise nature of the information sought by the Justice Department from Carver and Lane’s home was not immediately clear.

Officials have previously said the Justice Department and FBI are looking into the issue of fake voters, which Trump and others hope could be vetted by state lawmakers in a last-ditch attempt to keep Trump on the sidelines. White House. So far, however, those investigative efforts seemed to mostly involve talking to people in Republican circles who knew about the scheme and opposed it; subpoenas issued Wednesday suggest the Justice Department is now set to interview at least some of those who have agreed to continue the effort.

FBI agents delivered a subpoena to Lane Wednesday morning at his home in Virginia, according to the person who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation. After leaving the Trump campaign, Lane worked for the Republican National Committee’s electoral efforts in Virginia, the person said.

Video posted online in 2020 appears to show Lane handing out materials to voters at the Arizona Republican Party’s alternate voter signing ceremony on Dec. 14 in Phoenix.

Phone messages left with Lane were not immediately returned. Carver, the Georgia lawyer, also did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment. Public records list an address for Lane in South Arlington, and an FBI spokeswoman confirmed that agents conducted “court-authorized law enforcement activity” at that address Wednesday morning.

The Justice Department’s new investigative steps come amid a series of high-profile congressional hearings examining not only the riot on Capitol Hill, but also Trump’s efforts to undo Biden’s election victory through fake voters, lobbying from the Department of Justice and false claims from massive voter fraud.

Before, during, after: the attack of January 6

Officials from Arizona and Georgia testified before the House Select Committee on Tuesday about activities initiated by Trump and his inner circle of advisers directed at those states. On Thursday, the panel will hold a hearing with testimony from former Justice Department officials.

The Post reported an increase in violent threats against lawmakers on that panel, with three people involved in the January 6 legislative inquiry saying members of the committee are all likely to receive a security detail.

Earlier this year, the Department of Justice issued subpoenas and requested interviews with some the 15 people across the country who were expected to be Trump voters if he won their states – but were replaced by other Trump supporters on Electoral College voting day, multiple people told The Post.

Some of those Republicans told the Post that they didn’t participate as voters because Biden won the popular vote in their state and they didn’t think gatherings were appropriate; others said they declined to participate because they were sick or had scheduling conflicts.

Among those who declined to participate were Pennsylvania Republican Party Chairman Lawrence Tabas, an election rights expert who defended Trump in 2016 against a recount campaign by Green Party candidate Jill Stein; former Congressman Tom Marino (R-Pa.), one of the first members of Congress to endorse Trump’s presidential campaign; and Georgian real estate investor John Isakson, son of the late Republican Senator Johnny Isakson.

These earlier subpoenas sought all documents since October 1, 2020, related to the Electoral College vote, as well as all election-related communications with approximately a dozen people in Trump’s inner circle, including Rudy Giuliani, Bernard Kerik, Boris Epshteyn, Jenna Ellis and John Eastman.

A potential Trump voter in Georgia, Patrick Gartland, had been appointed to the Cobb County Board of Elections and Registration and believed the position meant serving as a voter would have created a conflict of interest for him. However, two FBI agents recently came to his house with a subpoena and asked if he had contact with any Trump advisers at the time of the November elections. “They wanted to know if I spoke to Giuliani,” Gartland said.

Fake Trump voters in Georgia told to hide their plans in ‘secrecy’, emails say

The Capitol Hill hearings have increased public pressure on the Justice Department to more aggressively investigate Trump and those close to him for their role in the lead up to Jan. 6.

But senior Justice Department officials also complained to the panel that prosecutors needed access to transcripts of more than 1,000 private committee interviews, and said not having those transcripts jeopardized the ongoing trial. of five members of the extremist group Proud Boys accused of seditious conspiracy. for their alleged role in the riot. The federal judge in charge of this case on Wednesday ordered a further postponement of the trial, from August 8 to December.

More than 820 people have already been charged by the Justice Department for their alleged roles in the January 6 attack, making it the largest investigation in the department’s history. Hundreds more people are wanted.

Earlier this year, prosecutors significantly expanded their investigation by issuing subpoenas to those who participated in preparations for the rally that preceded the riot.

Jacqueline Alemany, Alice Crites, Amy Gardner, Rosalind S. Helderman, and Yvonne Wingett Sanchez contributed to this report.

#Jan #investigation #expands #subpoenas #multiple #states

Add Comment